North America Premier Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case in point II

5 posters

Go down

Case in point II Empty Case in point II

Post by Spero Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Spero: btw i didnt just mention nationalitys
Ωмэgα: i know and i said most
Ωмэgα: most were
Spero: Jew, Irish, Asian, American, Spanish, French, Indian, Hawaiian, Brown, White, Black, Cavemen... I could go on...
Spero: i could go on means i could litteraly do this all week

Ωмэgα: ok
Ωмэgα: ,ost of those are nationalities

Spero: any inherent differences
Spero: doesnt have to be nationailites

Ωмэgα: All I said was most of what you listed and were refering to are nationalities and not derogatory
Spero: anything can be considerd "derogatory"
Spero: its all subjective
Spero: if somting is offensive to you, it may not be to someone else
Spero: the word nigger was used to oppress people, if it was still the case why do most african american people use it to familairze with each other? <- Whats up nigga/er?
Ωмэgα: generally speaking there are terms widely accepted as derogatory... we could say apple is derogatory and offensive to some but we would be considered insane
Spero: could be to offensive, you dont know for a fact that it is not
Ωмэgα: you can't say that most do familiarize themselves with it... i can't even say that.
Spero: apple could be a nickname for somthing
Spero: really?
Spero: are you serious?
Spero: ?

Ωмэgα: w/e it's an inane and pointless arguement
Spero: how many black guys do you know call each other nigga/nigger
Spero: if its pointless then why make it such a big deal?
Spero: what about gook?
Spero: ive heard lawliet called that plenty of times
Spero: or jew?

Ωмэgα: not many that i hang with... so yes I'm serious
Spero: its a different time
Ωмэgα: and it shouldnt be tolerated
Spero: Nigger was used to oppress a population of people. The word in my opinion for the most part has been taken from its orginal use and turned a form of rebellion/opposition against the orginal force.
Ωмэgα: it's still used to oppress
Spero: is it?
Spero: is that the only use?
Spero: is it not used in poetry
Spero: or songs

Ωмэgα: nvm ur cklueless an ill informed on the topic
Spero: am i?
Spero: u claim im clueless..
Spero: why?
Spero: do you think black people were the only people in the history of the world made slaves?
Spero: or that only had words extremely disparaging or offensive made about their race/culture?
Spero: do you understand the difference in the manner and tone in which you use words makes a difference?
Spero: what im getting at
Spero: is that limiting the words does nothing
Spero: if the hate is still there
Spero: they will just make another word up
Spero: you there?

Ωмэgα is now playing Counter-Strike: Source. Click here to join.
Spero: hello?

In my opinion the current rules disrespect toward a player covers Racism. If someone is calling you somthing (racist or not) after you told them to stop or saying somthing that you asked them to stop and it offends you then you shouldnt do it around or to that person. Banning people for "being racist" is subjective, if you called me hawaiian, is that not racist? yeah its my nationality but i didnt choose it, and what if being hawaiian comes with a reputation i dont want to associate myself with. I consider that racist, when i walk into a resteraunt and meet people and they ask whats my backround, whys it matter?.. whats your ethinic backround?.. did you choose yours, and the history that comes with it? and unless you know the history about hawaiians dont tell me its not similar.. (not full hawaiin but i know history)

Shouldnt make a post and attack people because you can, its BS that the LOs caved to omegas rant. Limiting free speech is the name of the new rule. Racism is wrong, and the history of the world is brutal but the ideas behind those words is whats worse.

Spero
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : 8 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Case in point II Empty Re: Case in point II

Post by m1tch Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Lock the topic while you can!
m1tch
m1tch
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 4 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by GhosT Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I agree with you 100%.

Another thing people are hypocrites about, is that they want the same rights as everyone else, (women, african-americans, mexican-americans, etc...) yet they want a special kind of treatment because they are a minority. If they don't get that special treatment they bitch and moan until they get their way, it is also "RACISM" if they don't get their way because they aren't the majority. Of course I'm only speaking from the American stand point as I don't know about the other countries. Bringing up these topics and making a big deal about it is living in the past. One of my favorite actors said it best:

/end rant
GhosT
GhosT
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Spero Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Words are used to give definition to what you are thinking, if you believe nigger to be a racist word, then you must also believe the following words can also be equally racist/extremely disparaging or offensive: Jew, Irish, Asian, American, Spanish, French, Indian, Hawaiian, Brown, White, Black, Cavemen... I could go on...

Words are an expression of thought, and we all should have the freedom to think, and the ability to share our thoughts with one another. If you (omega) find a particular word to be offensive, then you can ask that word not to be used but you have to realize, it may not be seen as a racist word to some people. I can see any word having multiple definitions based on the tone and manner which it is used. Nigger can mean black-person/dark skinned/brother. But when Nigger is used for hatred or intolerance of another race, of course, it's wrong. Same thing with White or Irish or whatever. Nigger is ONE word, it's a word. There are people who are very hateful and do/did terrible things, but dont let that justify limiting what people can say..

Nigger was used to oppress a population of people. The word in my opinion for the most part has been taken from its orginal use and turned a form of rebellion/opposition against the orginal force.

to ban "racist words" to make it ban-able offense, you must realize that any word pertaning to the inherent differences among the various human races is ban-able. Do you realize how many words can be considerd ban-able? It's, excuse my french, Fucking dumb. (OP! sorry i said an extremely disparaging and offensive racist word, french, mb)

(posted this on the last thread, doubt if anyone saw it before it was locked)

Spero
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : 8 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by panda Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Bugen: you can't change your race
Spero: how do you know that?

I have no words.

There isn't a problem with other racist terms being used constantly in the server. There is now a rule that blocks them all, as Morgan Freeman said, don't bring it up. Simple as that. Undermining Stinger's lock is pretty disrespectful to Stinger also, imo.

We can all be backseat drivers on Steam. Locked.
panda
panda
Site God
Site God

PSL Awards : 7 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 pm

To clarify, it isn't a bannable offense. Only mutable.

And I'll come out to the public and say I voted for making it against the rules to say racist terms. My main reason is that unless we are going to survey and figure out what race everyone is, or any of of our potential new players, we can't have anything deterring them from joining the league. Omega is one guy, what if we actually have multiple blacks in this league that are also offended? Or a new player is black, someone says it, and they are offended? All of a sudden it doesn't matter if people should or should not find it offensive, all that matters is that we're trying to grow this league and if getting rid of a few useless words in the server vocabulary gives us even 1 more person, it is worth it.

But yes, I do agree that the word serves a way different meaning now then it did originally (at least to us younger folk).
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

PSL Awards : 36 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down