scop3r's Firing Range

Go down

scop3r's Firing Range Empty scop3r's Firing Range

Post by scop3r on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:11 am

Welcome to...
scop3r's Firing Range Scopersfiringrange
Who needs a fancy picture anyways?

Because boredom has currently got the best of me, I decided to do a mid-season analysis write up thing on how the season has gone so far.
Topics to be discussed will be, Current state of league, surprises of the season, draft analysis (surprises and let-downs), and rant.

OK, current state of the league. Gotta say, besides the OP vs LZR meltdown in whatever week that was, things have been going pretty well. I admit, i haven't been really active, but from what I've gathered, there have not been any major issues with things. The draft went smoothly, and teams are pretty equal on a talent/skill basis. There have been 0 forfeits so far, and I don't recall there being any games that a team had to play with 5 because they were unable to get a 6th. But I haven't really looked into that, so I most certainly could be wrong. Other than OP (sorry guys), most games have been competitive and entertaining. So good job to everyone in this regard.

Surprises of the season. You honestly have to go with Rare here. With that roster, and no major absences, they probably shouldn't be that low in the standings. They have too much star-power and depth to have 1 win, which did come against winless OP. Strangely, every loss they have has been by 3 goals, other than against TnO, where they lost by 2. So they are clearly playing well enough to stay in every match, but they just can't put together any Wins. Although I believe things will change for the better for Rare in the 2nd half of the season, they have a tough road ahead of them to make the playoffs. (Top 4 teams). Only 6 points away, they will need to step it up if they don't want their season to end up shortened.
Surprise #2 is Meh's Meltdown. Yes, it has already been discussed, and yes, I probably am beating a dead horse, but it being one of the most stand out occurrences of this season, it has to be in here somewhere. Here's how I see it. LZR did an arrogant thing. While goal differential does play a part in the standings, the top 4 teams will make the playoffs. They were undefeated at the time, and it's very probable that they will be in the playoffs as either a 1 or 2 seed. Chances that they wouldn't make it were very slim, so it does seem that it wasn't necessary. Any excuses made are almost pointless, because a 24-1 beat down is unnecessary, especially given that OP is a developmental team, which wants to compete, but is full of newer players and is mainly looking to develop. Given that, Meh did overreact. And overreact is probably the wrong word for it, he went ballistic. He most certainly said some things which were over the line, and shit does indeed happen. Hopefully, he cools down and figures things out, because I do believe he is a very solid addition to this league.

Draft analysis. By this, I mean mostly which picks I feel have most certainly panned out and which have been busts.
As far as good picks, I'm looking more toward the players who weren't expected to be key components to teams, but have excelled in their respective roles.
First player is Mr.The Sandman. Was a late 6th round pick, and was probably expected to be more of a prospect pick who would be worked with to be used in the future. But with hB's need for defense in a few matches, he was forced to step up quickly. And he has most certainly exceeded expectations. Along with other late pick Omega, hB's defense has many options and looks as strong as any around.
Another great pickup was Ibra in the 4th round. A very good utility player for the Bills, Ibra is the only player for the Bills to play every minute of every game. And he has done so in a variety of positions. Overlooked by many in the draft, he is one of the strongest defenders I have seen this season. And the scary thing is, he always seems to be improving.
The last great duo picks I'm going to focus on will be ChickenWaffles in the 4th and Balls in the 5th for TnO. Both have played 3 games and have been key components to this scrappy TnO side. Chicken being a clutch Defender who they can trust putting on any forward in the league, and Balls who could play any position on the field and still be effective. Look for both to keep up their strong performances.

As far as busts, it's tough to call anybody a bust, but I'll name a couple.
If I was forced to pick who I think has been one, it would be ThatGuy. His skill is unquestionable, and even with his very scarce amount of pugging or practicing he does, he is still one of the biggest threats or shutdown defenders in the league. But the fact that he was taken in the mid-2nd round means that you're expecting a lot out of them. He has only played 1 game for Rare, and seeing as how they're currently 1-4, they need him to be there and work his magic for them. Maybe he has been around and chose not to play or has lag issues, I'm not exactly sure, but the fact that he's only played 1 game doesn't help any.
The other bust would most certainly have to be myself. Sort of the same story as ThatGuy, I was taken in the 2nd round and was expected to contribute to my team. I have played 0 games, meaning I have been completely worthless to my team. Thankfully, other players who were taken after me have stepped up and saved my ass. Even our last round pick, Killermaster, is a very capable player. Seeing a 0 in the Games Played category for myself is disappointing for sure, and I do expect to make more matches in the 2nd half, but with the way TnO is playing, it looks like I'm unneeded and will be the odd man out in future matches.

Now on to the rant.
Although I am very excited that no games have been forfeited this season, which is waaaaay different than last season, it also is a bit disappointing to see what seems to be 95% of our matches played very late in the week. Captains are waiting until Thursday or Friday to schedule their matches for the week, which means players are expected to play on a Friday, or Saturday night. While those nights are nice because there's no school and a lot of people have work off, it also sucks because we have to choose between a social life or being online for our respected teams. Now, I can't personally say I go out everyday of the weekend and party and get shitfaced, (if that's what you do, then no hard feelings, to each their own) but I do enjoy going out and doing stuff with my friends when I get a day off. And I do understand captains have to consult their players to see which days they are available, and this does take time. But it seems like they are waiting until the last second to do this, which forces the games to be played later and later each time. I just wish some games would get scheduled fairly quickly and get done earlier in the week, so people don't have to sacrifice their weekend nights to this game, when they could be doing other stuff.

All in all, good season so far and I hope it stays exciting and competitive. Good luck to all teams

If you read this whole thing, then I feel sorry for you hahaha

scop3r
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 3 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

scop3r's Firing Range Empty Re: scop3r's Firing Range

Post by Stinger on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 am

Good write up. Always enjoy reading any type of write up.

Mind if I post this on the front page? The 'Nad Knows' write up is getting a bit old now.
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

PSL Awards : 36 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by scop3r on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 am

Whatever works for you.

scop3r
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Nad on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 am

Everything except for the ibra stat, has been subbed before and missed a half I believe.

Nad
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 5 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by scop3r on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 am

Nad wrote:Everything except for the ibra stat, has been subbed before and missed a half I believe.
Season stats (although I realize not always perfect) has him at 5 games played. Not a big deal though.

scop3r
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by killermaster on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 am

NVM

Last edited by killermaster on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

killermaster
Site Regular
Site Regular

PSL Awards : 1 Award (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Furtif on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am

i talked with forty and he told me that rare had no practice or anything, plus i went in source tv watching a rare game, and everyone was trashing spyware and sometimes cr7. They might need to get along and have some practice :/
Furtif
Furtif
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 5 Award (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:51 am

scop3r wrote:Although I am very excited that no games have been forfeited this season...
Way to fucking jinx it!

~Dill
Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

PSL Awards : 9 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by scop3r on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Hahaha, seriously.

Maybe if some captains didn't finally get their games scheduled on Thurs or Friday, it wouldn't come down to this.

And holy shit, tons of games on Easter.

scop3r
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by panda on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Nice writeup. Very Happy

panda
Site God
Site God