North America Premier Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 2 Playoff Format

+10
m1tch
Spock
Nad
meh
Cosmo
Skyrim
Warcat
Ja_Zam
sh4rpsh00t3r
Stinger
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Season 2 Playoff Format Empty Season 2 Playoff Format

Post by Stinger Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 pm

We have decided the playoff format for Season 2. It is as follows :

- Best of 3 series for ALL series
- Top 3 teams make the playoffs, 1st place gets a buy to the finals
- 2nd place vs 3rd place in a best of 3 series, 2nd place getting home team for 1st and 3rd game
- 1st place vs winner of 2nd vs 3rd is best of 3 series, 1st place getting home team for 1st and 3rd game
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

PSL Awards : 36 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Season 2 Playoff Format Empty Re: Season 2 Playoff Format

Post by sh4rpsh00t3r Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:42 pm

I wish it was the top 4 teams cuz the team that finished 4th probably deserves to be in the playoffs anyway.

sh4rpsh00t3r
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : 4 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:31 pm

4/5 teams making the playoffs seemed pointless to us.
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja_Zam Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Well if you think about it, the first place team is not going to be playing as a team for a little while. Giving the teams that are playing an advantage IMO.

Ja_Zam
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PSL Awards : 5 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Warcat Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:53 pm

To be honest, with all due respect to Fate. It's not really a challenge at all to be the 4th place team considering the 5th place team is a team of mostly rookies and newer players.
Warcat
Warcat
Site Postaholic
Site Postaholic

PSL Awards : 10 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyrim Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Since when the first team get to be in Final? IMO it doesnt even make sense and i think its stupid.

Skyrim
Site Regular
Site Regular

PSL Awards : 1 Award (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Ja_Zam wrote:Well if you think about it, the first place team is not going to be playing as a team for a little while. Giving the teams that are playing an advantage IMO.
Then first place just purposely loses if they want Smile
Skyrim wrote:Since when the first team get to be in Final? IMO it doesnt even make sense and i think its stupid.
Hows it stupid? Its a 12 game season, and your saying the only reward for being in 1st place after that should be a PSL award?
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:09 pm

maybe if we had more teams, it would be better.
Cosmo
Cosmo
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Even with 6 teams it works out nicer Sad but yap
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 pm

tbh its rlly not that bad cuz top 3 teams should be the best anyways so i dont get whats so bad about is anyway
Cosmo
Cosmo
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyrim Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 pm

So your saying that even if we had over 10 teams... the first place will go straight ahead to final cause they are first...

Skyrim
Site Regular
Site Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:36 pm

No... in all past seasons with 6 teams we had done the 1v4 and 2v3 format, but that doesn't make sense for this season with only 5 teams.
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by meh Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

I don't get what all the controversy is on...

stepping back from your own team and looking at the league this is the most logical way of handling the playoffs. We can't allow 4 teams to go to the playoffs without allowing all the teams. We're not about to just leave 1 team out of the mix because they didn't win enough, its either all teams in or 3.

We're choosing 3.

meh
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Nad Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:33 am

I think the 1st seed should just get the 4th seed tbh..

Nad
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Nad Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:33 am

3 team play-off = ick...

Nad
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Spock Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Why do we even have playoffs? It's not like we have groups of teams where there are multiple first placed teams. We never even have enough teams to do a traditional knock-out style. It's always some outlandish format that we have to specifically invent in order to make another imaginary title. Why not spend your LO meetings focusing on fixing rosters so that we actually have enough teams to even have a proper playoff or even a tournament instead of wasting time, inventing all of these ludicrous formats. The fact that everyone has worthless lines of blue text under their names should be evidence enough that you guys have been misplacing your efforts.

Just end this season now, name first place league winners (it's not like anyones going to care about it anyways) and fix the league because you know something is wrong when you have only 5 teams playing in the regular season.
Spock
Spock
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by Warcat Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Elaborate on how it is the LO's fault that we don't have enough teams?
Warcat
Warcat
Site Postaholic
Site Postaholic

PSL Awards : 10 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by m1tch Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Try and advertise in noob galore just dont get banned lol
m1tch
m1tch
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 4 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Spock Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:07 pm

Warcat wrote:Elaborate on how it is the LO's fault that we don't have enough teams?

I blame the LO's for a lack of proper direction, not lack of teams. Time and thought is being put to an essentially useless and controversial playoff every season when it could be directed towards the reasons why we have only 5 teams, why teams are dropping, why teams are showing up to games with only 3 players, and addressing those issues.

This is probably going to be drawn out into a giant debate that I probably won't feel like continuing after this post, but the fact of the matter is we're losing teams and there's no serious discussion about reform, instead there's discussion about some ridiculous play off system.
Spock
Spock
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by meh Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Spock wrote:
Warcat wrote:Elaborate on how it is the LO's fault that we don't have enough teams?

I blame the LO's for a lack of proper direction, not lack of teams. Time and thought is being put to an essentially useless playoff when it could be directed towards the reasons why we have only 5 teams and addressing those issues.

Since you know how to fix the "broken" league then why don't you step up to the plate? We're volunteering for this.

Unless your willing to provide a cash prize or something worthwhile any online tournament style league will always be pointless as you described. Last I checked not to many people play to benefit from a prize, they play because it's enjoyable.

meh
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Spock Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:22 pm

meh wrote:
Spock wrote:

I blame the LO's for a lack of proper direction, not lack of teams. Time and thought is being put to an essentially useless playoff when it could be directed towards the reasons why we have only 5 teams and addressing those issues.

Since you know how to fix the "broken" league then why don't you step up to the plate? We're volunteering for this.

Unless your willing to provide a cash prize or something worthwhile any online tournament style league will always be pointless as you described. Last I checked not to many people play to benefit from a prize, they play because it's enjoyable.

Did I call the league broken? There's an obvious issue with the lack of teams and I don't see any remedies proposed by the LO's, but it doesn't make the league broken. It just seems like you're waiting for someone else to do something (evident by you telling me to "step up to the plate") when it should be your number one priority to propose ideas to the community as to how we can fix the issue.

I was under the impression that this season was meant to be as quick as possible as to allow time to address issues with the league, but as far as I can see it's being drawn out for absolutely no reason while serious problems are being ignored.
Spock
Spock
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Spock, you are not one to talk at all. You were an LO before and we're removed for doing absolutely nothing. You have no idea what our plans for Season 3 are so far either. Yes I will agree that more teams would be nice, but that isn't going to happen overnight. We have made the effort to recruit new people before and we just scare them away - so we only have ourselves to blame.

Also there is a lack of teams because of people like you who just don't play. But I guess you still have time to criticize us when you do not help in any way anymore.
Stinger
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by KansasCity Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:49 pm

The league isn't run by just the LO's everyone in this community can suggest things to better the league. Coming onto the forums and basically saying "I know how to fix things but I am not going to tell you" isn't helpful. Also, I seem to remember when you were an LO you did literally nothing to better the league so please do not come onto the forums and suggest that the current LO's were as bad as you were.

The only things you have done for this league are provided skins and maps. While those are appreciated they do not bring in new players. So how are you such an expert at running a league? When you had your opportunity you failed.

Many people have spent hundreds of hours on this league and the SSL since it began. If you have a great suggestion on how to obtain a larger amount of players and better the league, feel free to share it. If you don't, do not come on the forums and pretend you know it all and can solve every problem within the league.

We have a new team filled with new players this season and several more have been pugging in recent weeks. Also, I fail to see you pugging, so how would you know how many new faces have joined the league? The league IMO isn't growing as fast as it could because a lot of the older players are no longer playing. We are not the XSL where people play forever because they love the game. Our community is not as dedicated to CSS Soccer as they are.
KansasCity
KansasCity
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 11 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Spock Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Stinger wrote:Spock, you are not one to talk at all. You were an LO before and we're removed for doing absolutely nothing. You have no idea what our plans for Season 3 are so far either. Yes I will agree that more teams would be nice, but that isn't going to happen overnight. We have made the effort to recruit new people before and we just scare them away - so we only have ourselves to blame.

Also there is a lack of teams because of people like you who just don't play. But I guess you still have time to criticize us when you do not help in any way anymore.

Here we go with the inevitable SSL novel of arguments filled with personal attacks.

First of all I stepped down from LO, just like every other past LO, because I couldn't put the time into running facets of the league, I don't know what kind of twisted version of history you're going after. And I'm doing the league a favor by not participating because if I took up a roster spot I would be the one blamed for my team having numerous reschedules. Honestly, I have less than 10 hours of counter strike recorded in the last 2 weeks, and the majority of that time did not come from soccer.

And no, I don't know what the plans for season 3 are and that is the problem. No player in this league has any clue of what to expect nor any clue of how to make suggestions. All the LOs have announced is some malformed playoff schedule and nothing addressing the issue for lack of teams. There is only speculation, and zero communication.

I'm not stupid, I know changes aren't going to happen overnight, but the problem isn't lack of players, it's the overgenerous roster rules. Lowering the roster maximum to a number like 9 or 10 is going to help more than advertising on different servers. Obviously teams are going to be forced to drop some players, but seeing as though there's a new set of teams every season I don't see why that would be a problem. By doing this, you'll immediately swell the free agents list and lower the amount of reschedules. If you'd noticed teams tend to have great attendance (8 to 10 players online) to early league games but that number dwindles as the league goes on. This, as opposed to players simply running low on free time, is most likely due to players realizing that they have low chance of playing on such a filled roster, and thus feel that by them not being as active and not showing up to as many games as first team players that the team will not suffer. They simply just lose interest. This in turn means that once first team players actually cannot make matches, there is no cover for them and teams are forced to reschedule or unexpectedly forfeit. And while lowering the roster limit will mean there are less numbers for cover, it would also mean captains would be forced into choosing their teams carefully, giving teams better chances to stay together in the long run. In turn the now swelled number of free agents will hopefully find it easy to put together a team of 8 or 9 as opposed to a team of 10 or 11. This, in addition to rookie rules and pushing etiquette in pugs to allow new players better chances to play, you'll find a steady stream of players and a good amount of solid teams that I can guarantee will not fold given proper leadership.

We've had the same roster rules season after season and all we've seen are teams come and go. I can guarantee that every team that has every played in the league has used the same 6-8 players game in and game out, pretty much making the other 4-6 players on the roster useless. What does that breed? Inactivity and lack of interest.

Last edited by Spock on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spock
Spock
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by Spock Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 pm

KansasCity wrote:The league isn't run by just the LO's everyone in this community can suggest things to better the league. Coming onto the forums and basically saying "I know how to fix things but I am not going to tell you" isn't helpful. Also, I seem to remember when you were an LO you did literally nothing to better the league so please do not come onto the forums and suggest that the current LO's were as bad as you were.

The only things you have done for this league are provided skins and maps. While those are appreciated they do not bring in new players. So how are you such an expert at running a league? When you had your opportunity you failed.

Many people have spent hundreds of hours on this league and the SSL since it began. If you have a great suggestion on how to obtain a larger amount of players and better the league, feel free to share it. If you don't, do not come on the forums and pretend you know it all and can solve every problem within the league.

I've been here long before you even started playing soccer and I know the trends and I know the successes and I know the failures. You know that I have put hundreds of hours into this game before but I don't see how pugging gives you some sort of insight into sociological issues involving the league. I know everything I need to know in order to make a valid opinion.

KansasCity wrote:We have a new team filled with new players this season and several more have been pugging in recent weeks. Also, I fail to see you pugging, so how would you know how many new faces have joined the league? The league IMO isn't growing as fast as it could because a lot of the older players are no longer playing. We are not the XSL where people play forever because they love the game. Our community is not as dedicated to CSS Soccer as they are.

We have a new team filled with new players every season but why do you suppose they lose interest in getting bombarded by rosters filled with all-stars? It's the same story every season and you know that it has to change if you want those new players integrated into the league. There has to be some other way of doing it, and you can't just sit there and say that having that same team every season is working out.
Spock
Spock
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next