Opinions: MW3 v. BF3

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opinions: MW3 v. BF3

Post by Dill on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 am

So now that both games are out and both games scored a 9.0 on IGN, what do you guys think of them? Is one better than the other? Let's hear some opinions!

MW3:
Personally, I think they are both very good (and different) games. MW3 is very fast paced with extremely addicting game play. The new mode, "Kill Confirmed" is a blast and the classic HQ brings back fond memories of previous games in the series. The game might not look as pretty as BF3, but it runs very smoothly and multiplayer has been very polished since MW2:BO. I really enjoy playing this game and it all boils down to 1 thing: Entertainment I'm constantly engaged in the game and am just having a blast with the multiplayer. The bullets seem to register very nicely and the guns are great. The perks are back, as the kill streaks and death streaks. Although it is similar to MW2:BO, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Overall, I'd agree with the 9/10 score.

BF3:
I've always been a Battlefield fan and absolutely loved BF2 and the Bad Company series. BF3 looks absolutely stunning and has a very polished multiplayer as well. I havn't been able to put many hours into this game, so maybe someone who has can let us know their opinion on it. It was fun while I played and I agree with the 9/10 score as well.

Conclusion:
So which is better? Neither. They are both very different and have their respective pros/cons. The thing that is great about owning both games is that you can get a drastic change of pace when switching from one to the other.

That's all I gotta say really - what do you guys think?

~Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

PSL Awards : 9 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions: MW3 v. BF3

Post by scop3r on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:10 am

I won't be able to play them on the PC, so my opinions will be console related.

I will be getting MW3 tomorrow after work, but I've heard it's kind of a rehash of the last one. But I'll still get it, and probably enjoy it because of the constant action and entertainment value.

Battlefield 3 is a little disappointing for me so far. When I play, it's literally 90% of the people playing Scout, and sitting in a tall building for most of the round. I've had some fun rounds, but after 10-15 minutes, I just really don't feel like playing anymore. I do have some buddies who play it on PC and tell me it's the exact opposite of what I told them, but I actually watched them play and they seemed to by lying. It was better than it is on console, but there was a lot of camping. This is coming from the same people who were also hyping the game up like it was going to be the greatest of all time, and are probably just trying to stay away from some classic 'I told you so's.

scop3r
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 3 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:56 am

I don't think its fair to pick a better or worse game. Yeah their both FPS Shooters, but definitely different types of games. It all comes down to what you're looking for in your shooting games. Ive played over 14 hours of BF3, and over 4 on MW3, and here is what I find to be the pros / cons of both.

MW3 :

Pros :
    - Fast Gameplay! Good luck finding a spot on any map where your not involved in the action.
    - Tons of mods. I don't wanna name them all, but the popular ones are : Team Deathmatch, Headquarters, Domination, Search And Destroy, Confirmed Kill, Demolition, Capture the Flag, and of course Regular / Hardcore versions of each of these for the most part.
    - Pointstreaks instead of killstreaks is a nice change too. Actually rewards you for doing the objective instead of just giving you X amount of points.
    - The little things. They have almost all of the little things going for them. The user friendly menus, the customization, the pointstreaks, etc.
    - Spec ops! Tons of co-op missions, as well as a co-op survival mod.
    - Stats. It tracks almost everything!

Cons :
    - On a personal level, no Hardcore Headquarters! By far my favorite mod on MW2. Not sure why they don't have it -.-
    - On a more general level, it still rewards noobs. Noobtubes, Explosives, Dolphin Divers, etc.
    - MW2 version 2. Anyone who played MW2 can easily notice 10 things that are EXTREMELEY similar in MW3. It is basically just a big DLC for MW2. Saying this, I loved MW2 so I couldn't be happier that this is true Smile
    - Will list more as I notice them, 4 hours isn't enough to notice all the cons.

BF3 :

Pros :
    - Tactical Gameplay. The maps are big, so you can't just run off alone and do your own thing.
    - Big maps, as listed above. Ill list this as a pro I guess, because it does offer a variety in strategy, gun selection, choice of attack, etc.
    - Stats. It tracks almost everything!
    - More players. BF3 smashes MW3 in the max # of players in servers category, with some servers having up to 64 players.
    - Vehicles when your using them. Too fun to not include as a pro.

Cons :
    - Vehicles when your against them. Ohey, you picked assault as your class? Damn, good luck with tanks / APCs / etc. I once found myself proning in a patch of grass to hide from a tank for almost 5 minutes. Fun times!
    - Tanks specifically. I have said this multiple times, but the fact that you can shoot 6 RPGs at a tank and have it still be full health because a noob is hiding behind it using a blowtorch on it amazes me. If the RPGs atleast hurt that guy repairing it, eventually youd be able to win the battle, but nope!
    - No server browser. Sure battlelog is similar to a server browser, but if I wanted to go to a website to play a game, id just play a flash game. I wonder why they wouldn't just add in a server browser in-game? Would've been so much better of an experience.
    - Frustrating. Theres gonna be little things that will bug you in this game. Such as a medic that doesn't revive you, a teammate who drives away in a jeep and you find yourself having to walk across a huge map just to get in on the action, etc. Since this is a more team-oriented game, you will have to rely on your teammates more. If they aren't there for you, your death is imminent!
    - Spawning on squad members. Think of this, one minute your having a firefight with one guy, you hide for 3 seconds to reload, and next thing you know your fighting against 4 guys because his squad spawned on him. This can happen anywhere. In your spawn, in a critical control point on the map, or just in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, when your on the other side of this it will make you love it, but I'd rather have a completely even game then having an advantage sometimes, and disadvantage the rest.

My final decision is that each game is nice for different things. When im in a more serious and strategic mood, ill play BF3. When im in a more high-speed, solo mood, ill play MW3. Both are worth the money IMO. Not dissapointed with either game.
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

PSL Awards : 36 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:14 am

Stinger wrote:The little things.
Aw yes. MW3 is SO nicely streamlined. It takes seconds to launch and be in the game. BF3 takes forever it seems and is buggy, servers are oftentimes full even though it says they aren't, and the "Battlelog" is buggy as hell when trying to join servers/be in the same squad as your friends. With MW3, you just launch it (takes about 3 seconds to open up), join a party, start the game....And within 30 seconds you're in the map playing. VERY streamlined/quick customization on all menus. It makes the overall feel of the game much more enjoyable than the clunky BF3 menus and BF3 Battlelog.

Stinger wrote:MW2 version 2.
I noticed on MW3, there are VERY similar maps to MW2. A snow map, a map with a central pillar thing, an airport-like map, etc. But like Stinger said, being similar to MW2 isn't necessarily a bad thing. I also really enjoyed MW2 and MW2:BO, so being a more polished/refined version of those games is perfectly fine in my books. Just played some games with Weef and we won every game - very fun. Smile

I'll probably be sticking with MW3 for a bit, and then come back to BF3 a little later when MW3 starts getting stale (after around the 3rd prestige I'm guessing)...

~Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Church on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:47 pm

I'd probably play MW3 if someone bought it for me lol (who wouldn't).. But it just looks too much like MW2/MW to shell at $60.
Church
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Spero on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Looking at the pros and cons carefully, and with much though. Id probably play... SKYRIM CUS IT FREAKIN RULES!! Twisted Evil

Spero
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : 8 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:25 am

Church wrote:I'd probably play MW3 if someone bought it for me lol (who wouldn't).. But it just looks too much like MW2/MW to shell at $60.

That's why you preorder it and get a preorder deal so it isn't $60. I got it for $50 + a $10 game credit towards a future game purchase. KMART also had it on sale where they gave you a $50 game card towards a future game purchase. Who pays full price for games anymore!

Maybe Black Friday will have some sales? Smile

~Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:06 am

I got Diablo 3, BF3, and MW3 for $40 each Very Happy
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazooka Joe on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:10 am

i got MW3 for 32 dollars Smile

amazon is beats

Bazooka Joe
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : 10 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by beerhelmet on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfSg_-61FU

I didn't get MW3 (yet) so I can't really say for certain anything about it. But, I do have BF3 and I know for certain that it doesn't, in my opinion, feel like a game you can just pick up and play when you are feeling bored. If you are in the right mind set the game is fun, challenging and rewarding. Also, single player sucks balls (so far). Quick time events really make me feel un-immersed. On the other hand, co-op is fun, but really short.

I have noticed that both games suffer in graphical quality thanks to the console crowd. This is a trend that is not specific to these games; all recent games follow this, ie. Skyrim. (Bear in mind that I am stuck on a DX10 GPU for the time being, so this opinion may be subject to change once I am back in Canadia, eh)

All in all, both are probably worth buying if you think you might like their respective types of gameplay. Is it "Gold Standard" material? No, they do not shine above all other games. In my opinion, they were made to be relatively "safe" products to bring to the current market. MW3 is a rehash of something that is tried and true. BF3, while suffering from some bugs and glitches, pushes the boundary a little, but not to ward off possible players. (and possible Origin customers, as I'm sure the number of Origin accounts shot up drastically with the release of BF3)
beerhelmet
Site Beast
Site Beast

PSL Awards : 4 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forty on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Heard MW3 is the same shit as MW2 and etc.

Atleast BF3 changed their engine

Im getting MW3 for christmas (if I want it by then Razz)
Forty
Site God
Site God

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyware on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Spyware
Site Professional
Site Professional

PSL Awards : 5 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Stinger wrote:I got Diablo 3, BF3, and MW3 for $40 each Very Happy

I stopped listening after Diablo 3! I want!

THANKS FOR FUCKING SHARING THAT DEAL YOU DICK!

~Dill

P.S. Where/when did you buy those three?
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazooka Joe on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:36 pm

amazon........its a kewl site

Bazooka Joe
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by Stinger on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 am

Futureshop right after E3.. They had deal that was : Buy 2 Games get $40 off, buy 3 Games get $60 off. Had to be certain E3 games tho.
Stinger
Site QT
Site QT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:20 am

Bazooka Joe wrote:amazon........its a kewl site

I've gotten about 90% of my Christmas shopping done on Amazon. I even started buying regular shit on there (paper towels / toilet paper / shampoo / etc.). They have such low prices and great deals! (most of the time)

~Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazooka Joe on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:47 am

i know dude... amazon is taking over the world... srsly tho u should buy games from amazon... with new game purchases they usually give u 20 bucks off ur next game purchase... way better than gamestop or some other store

Bazooka Joe
Site Professional
Site Professional

Back to top Go down

Post by beerhelmet on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 am

Since this thread has turned into an Amazon support thread, I'm here to say definitely get the Kindle if you like reading!
beerhelmet
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 am

beerhelmet wrote:Since this thread has turned into an Amazon support thread, I'm here to say definitely get the Kindle if you like reading!

I bought a Kindle Touch for my wife....which do you have and how do you like it?

~Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by beerhelmet on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:27 am

Dill wrote:
I bought a Kindle Touch for my wife....which do you have and how do you like it?
~Dill

Got the basic Kindle... using it as a book reader is great, very light, good screen, controls are decent. I really find this generation Kindle to be way better than previous ones with regards to the screen. Just got off a 4 hour flight and spent pretty much the entire time on it without any discomfort. I have fairly large hands so I can hold it using one hand and my fingers can hit the page turn buttons with almost zero effort.

I don't like touch screens too much, and would never really consider getting a tablet, but this is great... STRICTLY as a book reader though.

Management system sucks on it, I don't even want to use the store to buy books... Can get plenty of good, free books online and convert to the right format using a management software called Calibre (spot the pun if you can). I haven't tried the WiFi at all, figure it isn't very useful on a device like that and I'd rather have the extra battery time, which supposedly lasts up to a month.
It is a tad slow, for obvious reasons, and it can be a pain if you don't have your book in the supported format (conversion will sometimes screw up words, punctuation, etc.), but all in all it is quite handy. Oh yeah, it also goes to the page you left your book at if you change to another screen, or turn off the kindle. For supposedly every book. And it is advertised as being able to hold something like 1,400 books.

$80 for less than 6 ounces of an easy on the eyes (both in aesthetics and readability), portable book collection is pretty sweet. In America you can order it from Amazon and most likely get it without tax (since it is probably shipped from out of state). As well, my friend did that and got his in 1 business day, even though it was with normal shipping.

Office I work at got a Kindle Fire, when I get the chance to play with it I'll let you know about that too.
beerhelmet
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dill on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:55 am

I checked out the Kindle Fire at Best Buy - although it was neat, it just didn't seem justified for the price and other devices we have in the family. Between two desktops, two iPhones, and my laptop, I didn't think we needed any other "portable" media viewing devices with all the bells and whistles/color screens/apps/etc. It's about twice the size of an iPhone and all I was looking for was something to read books with. The Kindle Touch seemed perfect for our needs (although I'll miss not having those nifty little page turning buttons - I liked the tactile feel of turning pages on the regular Kindle). I got the Touch for for $89 + a $10 account credit, no tax, free shipping, during a random sale during the week after Thanksgiving for using my Master Card. That's a total of 20% off in savings - I love Amazon.

Also, she'll be using it strictly for a reading device, and with my Amazon Prime membership, she can "borrow" thousands of books - even the one she wanted most (The Hunger Games). So that's awesome. I'll look into that "Calibre" if there are any books that aren't borrow-able and I don't feel like buying.

I have the Kindle App on my laptop, PC, and iPhone and am reading Game of Thrones on it. It does sync across all 3 platforms and puts me on the last page I left off, regardless of what device I'm reading on. I'm really looking forward to giving it to her and checking it out myself. Thanks for your opinions!

~Dill
Dill
Site Nerd
Site Nerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forty on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 am

Buy a BlackBerry Playbook Dill, for $199 you cannot go wrong, if you can find them. They're sold out all across Canada, glad I already have mine Smile
Forty
Site God
Site God

Back to top Go down

Post by beerhelmet on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Calibre is just a management software that also lets you De-DRM books and do conversions. It works with most, if not all, book reading devices. Very handy! Very Happy
beerhelmet
Site Beast
Site Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael V on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Forty wrote:Buy a BlackBerry Playbook Dill, for $199 you cannot go wrong, if you can find them. They're sold out all across Canada, glad I already have mine Smile

where do you get them for $200? i only see them for $300 on sale everywhere
Michael V
Site God
Site God

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikey9890

Back to top Go down

Post by Forty on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 am

Michael V wrote:
Forty wrote:Buy a BlackBerry Playbook Dill, for $199 you cannot go wrong, if you can find them. They're sold out all across Canada, glad I already have mine Smile

where do you get them for $200? i only see them for $300 on sale everywhere

They were on sale in Canada for $199 a few weeks ago, sold out in seconds, BestBuy.ca sold 2000 in minutes lol...

Prolly won't be back to that again..
Forty
Site God
Site God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top