Okay so... DotA 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Okay so... DotA 2

Post by loading on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 pm

So I was cruising the interwebs at work (cause it's slow) and stumbled upon my sexual intercourse deterrent DotA (Defense of the Ancients).

An excerpt from the wiki page (if you have no idea what I'm talking about).

Defense of the Ancients (commonly known as DotA) is a custom scenario for the real-time strategy video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents' Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters called "creeps". As in role-playing games, players level up their heroes and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.

If you're not familiar with it, maybe Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends may ring a bell. They're pretty much constructs of the original map and game design as DotA is with "Aeon of Strife".

Anyways, I've been an avid fan of DotA. And ran across this Q & A from IceFrog (current maintainer of DotA on WC3) I'll just highlight a few that I think are interesting.

Q: Is there reconnect support for DotA 2? (by Vanes-UT)
A: This was actually one of the very first things we added early on, before the game was stable, in order to help with testing. You’ll also be able to have a friend of similar skill level substitute for you in case you have to leave. Players that want to improve their reputation in the game and community will also be able to help out by joining ongoing games that are missing players.

Q: I heard there was going to be an AI feature for when a player leaves. Is there going to be an option to take direct control of the hero? (by Stephen)
A: The AI features will be optional to the players in the game. You can have teammates use it, send it to the base, or give it AI modes and behaviors to follow.

Q: What hotkey setup will exist in DotA 2? (by Stany Kaff)
A: We have a few default templates that cover the most popular configurations, but you’ll also be able to fully customize them to your liking. You can customize it on a global level or on a per hero basis if you choose. The hotkey configuration will include everything, not just heroes and items, but also how you navigate in the game, control the camera, autocast, set control groups, etc. Your settings are saved to your identity online, so if you go to a LAN center you will not have to reconfigure your keys.

DotA 2 is being made with IceFrog and Valve. So it will be using the Source engine. Here's an excellent article that talks about whats happening right now.

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/10/13/dota-2-announced-details.aspx

And of course. Badass pictures.

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_the_Ancients
http://www.dota2.com/2010/11/dota-2-qa/
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PSL Awards : 5 Awards (Click to view)

Back to top Go down

Re: Okay so... DotA 2

Post by dursac on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:25 pm

TLDR

dursac